Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rosie's Black Hat

Dear Family & Friends,

Thanks for honoring our requests for no calls, for allowing us a much needed time-out to try to absorb the devastating news that we are losing Celia to a hideous disease. There are times now when I can talk about it, and times when I'd rather not. Rod was wise enough to tell his colleagues, “Please, let’s do us both a favor and just don’t say anything.” Our wonderful ministers & spiritual friends have jumped down in the hole with us (instead of just offering some infuriating nonsense about “God’s plan” and walking by, but that’s another story.) All your patience & kindness & prayers are appreciated.

Jenni, Andy & Celia joined us for dinner this evening, and after dinner (while Celia watched Moose A. Moose) I told the story of my black hat. As a young teacher I kept a black hat in my classroom. For the most part, the hat stayed on its hook in the corner, but my students knew that if I put that hat on my head, they were not to approach me for anything short of a real emergency. In the fall of 1974, as Dad was slipping away, I wore the hat more than usual – but never long, and not often. I remember one day I was seated at my desk, trying to get hold of myself, hat brim dipping over my face, when our principal walked through the classroom door. Some of my students, who had been working quietly, rushed up to him saying, “Sorry, Mr. Harmon, you can’t talk to her now unless it’s an emergency -- she’s wearing the hat. You’ll have to come back later.” And he did!

I tell the story here because we all need a black hat from time to time. [A student taught me that by asking to borrow my hat one day. From that day on, my students and I shared the hat – and no one ever abused it.] Figuratively speaking, I’ve put the hat back on its hook tonight, knowing I’ll need it again, but who knows when? We need your love and support and prayers as well -- and I’ve felt those despite my recent reluctance to communicate – so please don’t rush to the phone – let’s just know that we’ll email & talk again sometime soon.

Celia wore a black bow in her beautiful red hair tonight… and she has several, fetching hats from which to choose!

1 comment:

Diana said...

It is good to hear your voice.